Erectile dysfunction treatment
How can erectile dysfunction be treated?
The vast majority of men with erection problems can receive different treatments, all of them effective and safe if they are taken following the advice of the doctor, and can even solve the problem.
Treatment should be based first on the identification of the causes that cause erectile dysfunction.
Sometimes a simple change in the drugs that are being taken to control other pathologies may be enough.
The most common treatment for erection problems is oral treatment with so-called phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors.
These drugs have different characteristics and must adapt to the needs of each patient, so we have:
– Oral drugs, the so-called PDE5 inhibitors, which can be taken:
- on demand, with a rapid onset of action and a duration of effect of 4-6 hours.
- of these are those that are taken with water or
- no water dissolving in the mouth in 10-15 seconds
- on demand, with a slower onset of action and with an effect duration of 24-36 hours.
- oral taken daily
These treatments facilitate the dilation of the arteries, therefore, they increase the entrance of blood to the penis and facilitate the erection. But, as we have seen before, in order for this to occur, the sexual stimulation is essential, which is what triggers the cascade of neurotransmitters that relax the muscle of the cavernous walls.
Other types of treatments that can be used are:
– Injections in the penis: the injected substance has a local action that facilitates the erection.
– Vacuum devices: cause a vacuum causing the penis to fill with blood and an erection occurs.
– Surgery: In general and when the above methods are not effective, the placement of a penile prosthesis is recommended.
– Hormonal treatment: in case the problems of erection are due to hormonal causes such as Testosterone Deficiency.
– Psychological treatment: it is indicated in those men with problems of erection of psychological or mixed cause.
– Shock waves: are low energy waves that applied in the genital region produce a beneficial effect on blood circulation, and can improve erectile function.
– Topical treatments: cream of local application, with effect at 5-30 minutes from the application.
Only your doctor can tell you which is the most appropriate Erectile Dysfunction treatment for you. Only an accredited pharmacy can provide you with the prescribed medication.
The consumption of drugs obtained through illegal distribution channels (internet, illegal distributors, etc …) and counterfeit drugs represent a great risk to your health.
If you have any doubt about the diagnosis or the most appropriate treatment for you, do not hesitate to consult your doctor.
- What types of treatments are there for erectile dysfunction?
- When should I not take this type of drugs?
– if you are taking nitrates, such as glyceryl trinitrate for angina, or nitric oxide donors, such as amyl nitrite.
– if you are taking ritonavir or indinavir, medicines for HIV.
– if you are over 75 years old and are taking ketoconazole or itraconazole, antifungal medications.
Also if you suffer:
– serious heart or liver problems
– if you are undergoing renal dialysis
– if you have had an ischemic stroke or a myocardial infarction in the last 6 months
– if you have low blood pressure, or if you had it in the past
– if you have a family history of degenerative eye diseases (such as retinitis pigmentosa).
– anterior non-arteritic ischemic optic neuropathy (NOAI-NA).
If you have any doubt about the diagnosis or the most appropriate treatment, you should consult your doctor.